Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Re: [gatortalk] The Tennessee Game

My bad.  I was slow with the setup.
 
A. Leon Polhill, Gator
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain



From: Shane Ford <goufgators@bellsouth.net>
To: "gatortalk@googlegroups.com" <gatortalk@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, September 18, 2012 11:02:01 AM
Subject: Re: [gatortalk] The Tennessee Game

I am surprised, shocked and yet sadly disappointed that it took this long to get to this point.  :-). I fully expected this comment yesterday morning.  Jay, you are getting slow in your old age. :-). 


Sent From Shane's iPhone
Go Gators!   &   Skol Vikes!

On Sep 18, 2012, at 9:56 AM, "mail.bobparks.com" <oliver@bobparks.com> wrote:

Very not funny.  

Oliver Barry, CRS, GRI
Real Estate Broker
Bob Parks, LLC
1517 Hunt Club Blvd
Gallatin TN 37066
615-972-4239
615-826-4040 
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 18, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Jay Cicone <Jay.Cicone@RaymondJames.com> wrote:

Oliver told me he let the guy hump his leg during the game.

 

From: gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatortalk@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Arthur Polhill
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:34 AM
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [gatortalk] The Tennessee Game

 

Did Oliver sit next to his new Georgia buddy?
 

A. Leon Polhill, Gator
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain

 

 


From: Helen Huntley <hhsgator@gmail.com>
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Sent: Mon, September 17, 2012 5:54:22 PM
Subject: Re: [gatortalk] The Tennessee Game

Thanks, Shane for giving us the true inside scoop.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Shane Ford <goufgators@bellsouth.net> wrote:

The highway patrol officers at that Subway were hilarious!  We also ran into a mom & her son who told us that all of his friends went up to Knoxville the night before to try and get on ESPN.

 

The part about the tickets that made me nervous was it didn't seem like too many people were selling, but everybody was trying to buy.  It didn't help much that the first ticket scalper we ran into wanted $800 for a pair.  I was about ready to jump back in the car and race home to watch the game in High Def.  He says as Shane got tired, but that was after walking for over an hour.  He abbreviates this quite a bit!  J  It was also disheartening with all of the curses and ugly things I was called as well.  I thought I had thick skin, but goodness gracious!  The savior of the afternoon was definitely the Georgia graduate.  Wow!  Whoever would have thought a Georgia Graduate would do anything nice, worth while, help us out in any way, or let alone make out day?  Definitely not us!!!!!  J  They were extremely nice to us during the game, which I hope that they felt the same from us.  We tried, believe me.  It was rough for Oliver to.  I could tell.  :-) 

 

We didn't even make it to the stadium before we went through more insults, more drunks yelling at us, and even more obscenities.  Oliver's right though, I was taking notes of the curse words, as they were using a few in a way that I wanted to remember for use later.  ;-)  I don't even care to remember the drunk "idiot" who pulled my face over to his mouth so he yell the lovely chorus of Rocky Top more directly into my ear.  Why he felt the nerve to do that is beyond me?  Why I didn't haul off and punch him in the face is another mystery?  J

 

We did walk around the stadium for a little while, but there were so many people it was hard to move around.  I wanted to sight-see some, but it was futile trying to move around and get somewhere in a timely fashion.  We did finally park on the hill and "watch" the Vol walk from a far.  There really wasn't much to see but a see of pumpkin orange.  They promptly opened the gates at 4:00 right after the Vol walk and we made our way into Gate 21.  The seats were amazing!  I could have never dreamed of sitting so close to the action.  WOW!  I don't think I'll be too quick to rush back to Neyland Stadium, but I'm glad we were so lucky on this trip. 

 

Leon and Paula, it was very nice to see you guys again, even though the hike up the million steps nearly killed me.  J  The view of downtown Knoxville, the Tennessee River and the Vol Navy was incredible from up there.  The conversation is always good and hilarious.  I even enjoyed the looks from people when they saw Leon's favorite team and his Obama button.  It was priceless!  HA HA!!!!  J

 

I think the Vol fans were a little delirious about winning.  It's been extremely quiet at work.  A few have come up to me to talk about it, but most have chosen to ignore me and the fact that the Vols played a game on Saturday.  J

 

The noise in the stadium was incredibly deafening in the first half.  I don't think I've ever been in a stadium that loud.  I wonder what it sounded like on TV?  I taped the game, so I hope to find out tonight when I re-watch it, hopefully.  I have to admit into the 3rd quarter, I was losing faith in our Gators and brother Oliver had to keep sending me positive vibes.  Luckily, between Oliver's positive vibes and his lucky shirt, the Gators responded in the 2nd half and pulled out a very glorious victory.  The game was incredible and we couldn't have asked for a better game.  A good, close game in the first half and then a near blow out in the second. 

 

The rest of the trip was about the way I remember it to.  I just had to add a few of my memoires and comments as well.  I would have done it earlier, but my boss decided having me in several meetings throughout the day was more important???  I know?  I know?  I tried to tell him.  J    

 

Later,


SHANE

 

 


From: Oliver Barry <oliver@bobparks.com>
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Sent: Mon, September 17, 2012 11:18:27 AM


Subject: [gatortalk] The Tennessee Game

Before my diminishing usage of brain cells prevents further recollection of it I will offer my observations of the game.

Shane and I started from my house in Hendersonville at about 9:30 am local time on Saturday.  Perfect weather.

Stopped for Starbucks in Gallatin and were off!

We saw quite a few cars locally sporting Gator flags, etc.  I took it as an omen.

Next stop was at a gas station at about mile 300 on the interstate.  A large van pulled up with all UT fans who mostly ignored us.

One of their brighter members shook his head at us.  I think he may have already been into the sauce.  That was about 10:30 am.

Next stop for lunch at a Subway.  Two highway patrol officers came in while we were eating. One joked that he didn't want to see any Gator fans yet.

We talked for a while about football predictions, etc (he was a really nice guy) then moved on.

Got to Knoxville where the fun started.  Found a parking place for $20 and headed to The Strip to find tickets.

We walked for a bit holding up 2 fingers.  Found prices at $200 to $250 apiece.  Kept walking. 

Just as Shane was getting tired we walked up to an older gentleman who said he had 4 tickets and wanted to get rid of 2.

He asked what we would pay.  I offered $100 each and he accepted.  I think if I had offered $80 he would have been ok with that too.  The face value was $75.  He told us he and his son were up from Chattanooga and his son is a Gator.

--
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions | 2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions | 2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions |
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

No comments:

Post a Comment