Monday, July 23, 2012

Re: [gatortalk] So Bobby Bowden gets his winningest coach title after all

Answer Some of Bobby Bowden's wins came against opponents who do not now have I-A programs

The statement is incorrect however as I-AA did not exist at the time. Division I was not split into I-A and I-AA until 1978. Bobby Bowden's victory were in the same Division I that Joe Paterno's wins were.

Bowden had 31 wins at Howard College (now Samford University).

Bobby Bowden's 366 total coaching victories ranks first all-time among all Division I-A head coaches. Paterno is second with 363 but therein lies a controversy as 31 of Bowden's career victories were earned while coaching at Howard College, now known as Samford University. Samford does not play major college football, and all of those 31 victories at Howard/Samford were earned against teams not currently in Division I-A, including wins over The University of Mexico, Gordon Junior College, Millington Naval Air Station, and the Tennessee Tech Freshman Team.


No comments:

Post a Comment